Sunday, March 8, 2015

Supspace Phonecall

Supspace Phonecall by Pope Torak title by Arales Bloodmoon(Me duh lol)

"Starfleet Command, Computer Sciences, how may I direct your call?"
"Lieutenant La Forge, USS Enterprise. I'd like to speak with someone in holography, please."
"One moment, I'll transfer you."
"...dedicated brewers using the finest all-natural ingredients, right here on Earth, for nearly five hundred years. Budweiser. Still the King of Beers.
"I'd been finding myself unable to keep up my active lifestyle. Play with my dog. Even get up in the morning. Then my doctor told me about Anaprovaline. Anapro--"
"Hello? Yes, what is it?"
"Hi. This is Lieutenant Geordi La Forge, Chief Engineer, USS Enterprise. Is this Holographic Imaging and Programming?"
"Yes, this is Doctor Lewis Zimmerman, Director of HIP at Jupiter Station. What can I do for you?"
"Doctor. We've had a bit of a problem with one of our holodecks."
"Sigh. Color me surprised. All right, what is it? Safety protocols turning off? One of your crewmen beamed in and thinks they're part of the program? Ugh, your ship didn't come alive and give birth to a screensaver, did it?"
"No...no, none of that. This might sound crazy, but...somehow, we created a character that seems to have consciousness."
"Oh. That."
"You've heard of this before?"
"Too many times. We never should have put holodecks on starships in the first place. Too many ambitious crewmen trying to create opponents stronger than they are. Before they know it, they have a self-aware hologram trying to take over the ship. Is that what happened with you?"
"Yes. I asked the computer to create an adversary capable of defeating our science officer. It created a version of Professor Moriarty."
"Mm. You're lucky. The Melbourne made Genghis Khan. Their doctor set up a triage center outside the holodeck so he could get the limbs reattached more quickly."
"Well, no casualties on the Enterprise, though our CMO was held prisoner."
"...Doctor...Kate Pulaski, right? She's okay?"
"Doctor Pulaski, yes. She's fine."
"I'm an acquaintance of Kate's. She was helping me with one of my projects before she was assigned to your ship."
"Anyway, Doctor Zimmerman, the situation is under control, and we have the Moriarty character in active suspension. What should we do now?"
"Well...nothing, Lieutenant."
"Nothing?"
"If it makes you feel better you can send your crew and technical logs to my assistant Felix. He's been handling these cases."
"All right. I'll send the program too."
"No, don't bother. We have enough of them floating around our databanks fighting virtual wars with each other. One more won't do us any good."
"All right, I'll just send the logs then."
"Anything else, Lieutenant?"
"No--wait, y--uh, no..."
"Sigh. Adult-oriented programs will be included with next month's update."
"That's not what I was asking!"
"Of course not. Goodbye, Lieutenant."

"Thank you for using Verizon Subspace. Gracias por utilizar Verizon Subspace."

I do not own or even wrote this great article but I was granted permission by the author to post this to my blog for my wonderful readers :) Thanks my friend for allowing me to share your great work c:

No comments:

Post a Comment